What is lo mein? How does this differ from Chowmein? Chow Mein comes from the word Chow (or Chao) meaning fried and the word Mein (or Mian) meaning noodles, specifically flour and egg noodles. So, Chow Mein is just fried noodles. Lo Mein is tossed noodles (where the noodles are not mixed with the rest of the stuff in the pan)
- Par boil fresh egg noodles for 3 minutes. Rinse with cold water and drain. Heat a pot of water separately.
- Slice chicken into 1/8-inch strips. Marinate
for 15 minutes in cornstarch, soy sauce, wine and garlic.
- Mix all ingredients for the sauce mixture.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a wok (nonstick karahi). Add garlic; brown and discard. Add chicken and salt. Stir until 3/4 done.
- Add sauce mixture and quickly stir until thickened.
- Add green onions and sesame oil. Mix well and keep warm.
- Drop noodles into hot water. Stir for a minute to heat. Drain well.
- Pour meat and sauce over noodles.