Red Kidney beans in curry sauce
Recipe by Lata Anand of
A standard recipe from Punjab
1 teacup red kidney beans (rajma)
2 onions, grated
1 teaspoon chilli powder
500 grams tomatoes
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons ghee (or butter)
Salt to taste
Grind into paste :
7 cloves of garlic
7 green chillies
25mm. piece ginger
1. Soak Rajma beans Overnight (or atleast 4 hours).
2. Cook in a pressure cooker. Drain.
3. Heat ghee and fry onions for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic/ginger/chili paste and chilli powder and fry again for 1 minute.
4. Add the cooked red kidney beans.
5. Cut tomatoes and cook in water. When cooked, take out a thick soup through a sieve.
6. Add this soup to the rajma mixture. Add sugar and salt.
7. Cook for a few minutes so that all the flavors are integrated.
8. Serve Hot