- Wash the lentil with water then put it in a pot, pour 3 c water and 1 tsp salt and bring te lentil to te boil..
- Lower the heat & allow it to cook for approx 1 hour until lentil is tender but not out of skin.
- Drain out te water & keep aside.
- Wash the same pot & bring 4 c water & 2 tsp salt to the boil. Add in the pasta and cook for 10 min.Strain & set aside.
- Wash the rice . Heat te oil & fry te rice over medium heat for 2-3 min.Pour 2 c water and a tsp of salt bring it to the boil by string until it comes to the boil.
- Cover te pot with a lid & cook for 15 min over low flame until te rice is nice & tender. remove from heat & set aside for 5 min.
- Prepare the dressing by: Heat oil & fry te onion till light golden add garlic & fry another 2 min add te cumin powder, and then tomatoes & chilli paste fry until tomato is mushy then add water and Vinegar & bring in to the boil. Set aside
- Add the pasta & lentil to te rice & mix slightly (toss)pour over it te dressing then top it with the fried onion & serve with other Egyptian dishes like fried fish or kefta.
* some people cook the rice with the lentil like Khidchri and then top it wit rest of the items and some like a topping of chickpea as well, it is all up 2 te individual's taste.