- Cut up the chicken and boil in salted water until tender.
- Remove chicken from pot. Pour broth into another container; return 6 cups of broth to the pot.
- If you don't have 6 cups of broth, add canned broth or bouillon.
- Remove chicken from bone and cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a skillet, saute celery in butter; add the bay leaf, parsley, and thyme and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Add add celery mixture and okra to the chicken broth; simmer 10 minutes.
- Add the chicken and heat through.
- Just before serving, add the filé powder.
- Serve on hot cook rice in soup plates. Serves 6 to 8.
Note: If you don't live in US, it might be tough to find filé powder (dried sassafras leaves powder) which primarily works like a thickening agent. Just increase the quantity of Okra which has enough thickening power of itself.